One of the hard things about tapering is filling the time you normally spend running with other things, so you don’t stress about the fact that you’re not running much and accidentally go run 20 miles or something.Â Not that I would ever do that. I’m actually quite lazy and so don’t have a problem easing myself onto the couch a little more often, but it’s still possible for me to go a little stir crazy with the normal 3-week taper. It’s mostly a mental issue…in fact, I think letting go of the tough workouts is harder psychologically than physiologically. Maybe it’s the lack of endorphins. Ah, too much science. Anyway, for those of you who also find this a problem, here’s a rundown of how I’m going to fill my spare, non-running time this week:
– Get a bikini wax. Hey, I’m gonna be at the beach, even if it’s VA Beach.
– Meet a friend for lunch. Gotta eat/carboload.
– Get a tattoo. Well, a temporary one in the form of a shamrock…
– Return items I haven’t gotten around to returning in the last month or so.
– Get a massage. Essential pre-race anyway.
– Paint my toenails. Green!
– Cook dinner. Well, look at recipe books at least.
– Write my blog! Yeah, I’ll probably be posting every day!
I hope this is helpful for those of you who are in – or are soon to enter – your taper. If not, then maybe you would like to comment with some tips of your own?! Gosh, am I really supposed to do everything? I was looking forward to some time on the couch…