I don’t mind admitting I don’t always shower after every workout. If I’ve got another workout later in the day (which, as a multisport athlete, I frequently do), I just change my clothes and carry on. I work from home so there aren’t any coworkers to mind the smell and, to be honest, I just don’t see the point in showering multiple times a day. Unless it’s summertime. Then I find myself showering as many as 3 times a day, I’m sweating so much.
But if I’d had a product like the Shower Pill last summer, I may have been able to reduce that number to 2 and save on my water bill. Created by three former college football teammates, Shower Pill is not a pill, (although the description ‘hygiene supplement’ might throw you…) it’s a disposable athletic body wipe. Shower Pill contains aloe vera and vitamin E, has no parabens and is alcohol free. It kills 99.9% of all germs, which is a real bonus as athletes, according to Shower Pill’s site,Â are “greatly exposed to community-acquired MRSA and other staph infections” that lurk in gyms and locker rooms. Shudder.
I gave the Shower Pill a whirl after tonight’s spin class. This workout is always a sweatfest so the product was guaranteed to get a thorough testing. Post-spin, I unwrapped the package and took out the wipe. I was surprised at its thickness; I was expecting something like a baby wipe but it’s actually more like a little towel. The scent is pleasant enough, not overpowering or too “medicinal.” After using the wipe there was no lingering stickiness and I did indeed feel quite clean…
…The only problem was, I was feeling kinda cold after sweating so much and it wasn’t very pleasant using a cold wipe as an alternativeÂ to my nice, hot shower.
Then again, I don’t think the Shower Pill is intended as an alternative to showering. Given its portability, it’s great to take with you and use when showering isn’t an option. I can think of several occasions, such as:
– After a race, when I often sit around for a while festering in my own sweat and waiting to find out if I placed in my age group.
– During a relay such as Ragnar, when you’re sharing an enclosed space with several “friends” for an extended period of time. In fact, it would be a good idea to take several Shower Pills toÂ share with said friends.
– On camping trips, even at campsites that have “bath-houses.” Last time I camped someone left the door to the bath-house open overnight and the place got infested with bugs. I didn’t shower the entire weekend, despite running 5 miles and swimming the first day, and racing the second.
– After swimming at my local pool, when I’m desperate to remove the chlorine from my skin but don’t want to wait for the one shower head that releases more than a dribble of water at a time, all the while trying to avoid the clumps of hair that have collected around the drain.
– During the entire summer, when even a short walk can leave you drenched in the nastiness of your own sweat.
Yep, while I’ll always prefer my nice, hot shower, I can think of several uses for the Shower Pill.
Shower Pill is available from Amazon for $9.99 for a box of 10. I also heard through MariposaFit that you can get a free box when you buy two with the code SPFRIDAY from 11/23 – 11/25. Just put 3 boxes in your cart, enter the code and the 3rd box will be free!
Many thanks toÂ FitFluential for connecting me withÂ Shower Pill, and to Shower Pill for providing me free samples to review.
The opinions in this review are my own. Shower Pill provided me with free product but was not guaranteed a positive review.