Yippee. I can run again. Good thing, too, because the weather is now too cold for biking (I am a warm weather biker for sure) but perfect for running. I am probably overdoing it but here was my first week back running:
Sunday – 3 miles
Tuesday 3.5 miles
Thursday 5.5 miles
Saturday 6.75 miles
Monday (today) 7 miles
Now, before you scream “You’re nuts! You tore a calf muscle and had to take 3 weeks off!” I am running all of these miles super slow. We’re talking 9:00 – 9:30 pace which for me feels like no effort at all. Which means I’ve really been enjoying running…imagine that. No sufferfests. Anyway, the calf doesn’t hurt when I run and I wear compression socks just to give it a little support. Which reminds me, here’s my list of THINGS THAT ROCK for me right now:
1. Compression socks (can’t live without them right now)
2. Fall weather. Delicious. I could literally stay outside all day. Unfortunately I’m also allergic to Fall (and Spring) so can only take it in small doses.
3. Athleta. OK, you know I like Athleta but now I like them twice as much because I found out that, if you’re a certified coach, you get 30% off in stores. No kidding. Just take in proof that you’re a certified coach (I took a pic of my RRCA Coaching certificate) to any Athleta store, fill out a form and voila! 30% off. They don’t advertise this so not sure if it’s super secret or not, but I figure sharing this info with my 3 loyal blog readers isn’t a big deal.
4. Online yard sales. So someone in my community started an online yard sale page on facebook. Freaking genius. You have to live in the local area, obviously, and once you’re approved you post pics of what you want to sell, how much you want for it, and people respond if they’re interested. It is so much better than hauling all your unwanted items out onto the driveway, putting up signs and standing around until it rains and you have to drag everything back inside. Granted, I spent my entire Sunday at home as I had a lot of people coming by to collect stuff, but I got to stay in my pjs most of the day – until I realized I’d been so busy selling I hadn’t planned anything for my family to eat and had to put clothes on to go to Red Robin.
5. Potomac River Running. This is my local running store as well as my sponsor. I am running on one of their teams for Marine Corps Marathon. When I told them I had injured my calf they were nice as could be and told me to do what I needed to do. I am still gonna run MCM because the team needs my body count, but I don’t have to run it fast, just finish. I’m actually looking forward to it! So on Saturday I volunteered at packet pickup for one of their races and had a fantastic time meeting other runners, many of whom I know from facebook but hadn’t met in person! I was thrilled to meet Jessica from Pace of Me who was using the 10 miler aspart of an 18-mile marathon-pace training run…all I can say is if that’s her marathon pace (7:22!) she’s gonna ROCK MCM.
6. Halloween. I absolutely love Halloween. It is my favorite holiday ever. And not just for the candy, although that is a big bonus. My husband and I have a great couples costume idea for this year’s Halloween party…can’t give it away but there are gonna be some funny pics out in a month! Here’s a pic of us last year (we were trophies in case you couldn’t guess):
7. The ability to run. Enough said.
Right, time to go sell stuff online and put up Halloween decorations…
Are you a yard-sale lover or loather?
When do you put up Halloween decorations? I can’t do it before October 1st. Doesn’t feel right.